Kuuzu Forum
frankl

What the software should be

One other pretty important thing that needs to be sort out for languages is the database multi-language capability.
Products names and descriptions ar db driven., same for categories.
When there is installed later on a new language to the system, that language will not hold any data for that new installed language.
Correct me if i am wrong, currently osc falls back to the default language if that occurs.

Yet.... for add-ons this is not the case.
Kuuzu should cover that also.
The system must be able to "detect" when install a new language, and db languages are required, it handle these also.

One more thing for languages.
This is pretty important for the search engines.
I hope we all learned by now: www.mywebsite.com/index.php?language=english is UNWANTED.
Default (browser detection) site flow should stay as is.
But when switch from english to Spanish via the language selection url's should not change.
The parameter index.php?cPath=1_2&language=XXXX must be taken out.
To better explain i post an old link to an article from the net:
https://searchengineland.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-multilingual-and-multiregional-seo-157838

Especially if scroll or arrive at the following heading:

The X-Default Hreflang Attribute Value:

<link rel=”alternate” href=”http://example.com/en-gb” hreflang=”en-gb” />

<link rel=”alternate” href=”http://example.com/en-us” hreflang=”en-us” />

<link rel=”alternate” href=”http://example.com/en-au” hreflang=”en-au” />

<link rel=”alternate” href=”http://example.com/” hreflang=”x-default” />

Above, http://example.com would be the default page for users outside of Great Britain, the United States or Australia.

7 hours ago, frankl said:

One solution:

6 hours ago, OSCOMMARKET said:

Comprendé?

¡Pues si!

I mean, yes. I agree with both of you (I though the same, in our 'ideal' soft).

If one that speak Balochi download kz  then, as ubuntu (windows, etc) does, in the first few window's installation he will be asked for their default language. He will be able to choose the ones that the comunity (led by the languagekeepers) provides (English -the default, Spanish, German, French...).

If you are from Equatorial Guinea may be you will download Spanish and French (both 'official' languages, supervised for people from here). In admin you will be able to choose the languages to download from K, as a app.

But our customers speak Balochi (my no comprender), so the screen ask if you can create a new language. He are asked for registration and then he goes to a kind of long form where he will start to translate 'No' to 'oN', etc.

The form (or kz in some place) ask to customer if he want to collaborate in the translation packs (with a link explaining a lot of beautiful things). If he says 'Yes' (or in Balochi 'seY'), then their changes will go to k.org inserted in our beautiful language database. Next time, the Balochinean will be finded as 'unnoficial language pack'. May be not complete, with only ONE person collaborating... but the process continue.

May be the 'Spanish council' agree that 'OK' need to be translated in spanish with 'De acuerdo', but may be a lot of others think that 'Me parece macanudo' is a best translation. So here is the place where the 'community language responsable of the Spanish' will manage/decide if change the translation or not. May be this kind of procedures comes from the same big form when one change a particular term...

image.png.710b7652310173c0fd532854428f9678.png

I we think when we create a define (or create a txt file), we create a constant  'MI_HEADER_THING' with a value of 'Mi header Thing'.

'Mi header Thing' is now the 'constant' that every language must 'map'.

So, in some way, 'Mi header Thing' is from core, I mean, the english language is 'core'.

Just because code and comments are written in English doesn't make English somehow "core". Neither the owner/administrator nor the customer will see MI_HEADER_THING, just whatever the define translates into for their selected language.

The administrator selects one or more language packs to install and be available. US English could be the default, but it doesn't necessarily have to be installed (depending on how language support is structured, it might be a fallback for missing definitions in other language packs). When running the site, an available language is selected (first, querying the browser; second, logged-in user or admin has a stored preference; third, anyone can select another installed language from a menu).

Arrgh. The allowed edit time is too short. Frank?

Add: We still need to think about additional definitions needed for add-ons and other extensions. They are likely to be in English, but lag far behind in getting translated. Perhaps an English default or fallback should be part of any add-on, to be overridden by a translated pack later? That still leaves the issue of whether, say, Argentine Spanish is going to be one monolithic language pack with all add-ons, or an admin is responsible for pulling in a translation file for each add-on that site uses. That should probably be automated in some manner, so that a site always has the desired languages at the proper version for its add-ons.

On 5/25/2018 at 4:39 PM, piernas said:

Actually it's "coger" the problematic word. Recoger is widely used and there's no problem with it AFAIK.

@piernas , it was just an example, even "recoger" may not be problematic, a latin american user translated "store pickup" with "levantar en tienda", so there is just a difference of usual expressions, which make potiential local buyers feel more comfortable.

And of course, there are many, many other language localizations which will have many more examples like this.