Kuuzu Forum
frankl

Putting a team together

This is my proposal:

A collaborative effort to create a new open source shopping cart which will be free to all comers. It will be suited to any size store from small one man shops to enterprise level operations.

The core software will be basic, although the default install will be ready to sell products right out of the box, with essential apps included. We should discuss and finalise what those apps will be. There will be an app store where developers can provide apps for free or payment. The app store will charge a commission on paid apps which will go directly towards developing the core software. A minimal amount will be spent on essential administration.

There will be a team structure to maximise the success of the development and marketing of the new ecommerce software. I propose this:

image.thumb.png.579dcbe2eba2bfe78c61bd3876c3bee9.png

About the roles

The CEO will oversee the entire system and liaise with the respective team leaders to ensure everything runs smoothly. He or she will also be the public face of the new software.

The Shopowners Council will consist of 4-8 members who will advise the Project Leader as to what is required in the software by the average shopowner. The shopowners will consult amongst themselves, and gather ideas from the wider forum community, then advise the Project Leader of their requirements.This will be an ongoing process.

The Project Leader will have overall responsibility for the software. He will be directed by the Shopowners Council as to what is required in the software and decide if it fits within the scope (Remember: The core software will be basic, the default install will be ready to sell out of the box, only essential apps included.)

The Programming Lead will be in charge of the programming of the core software and apps, ensuring they are written in accordance with the PHP Standards Recommendations (https://www.php-fig.org/psr/) and the standards laid out by the Project Leader. 

The Programmers will be required to write software and apps (or parts of software and apps) as directed by the Programming Lead in accordance with the standards above. Selected Programmers will also be responsible the website coding (webpages, forum, app store, doc pages).

The Design Lead will be responsible for the overall design and user experience of the software, both store side and admin side. It is yet to be decided which framework or frameworks will be utilised, however initially Bootstrap would be convenient. As the design will be separate from the code the possibilities are endless, however I believe there should be two or three basic templates available with the core software. The Design Lead will set standards for the design markup. The Design Lead will also be responsible the website design (webpages, forum, app store, doc pages).

The Designers will be required to help code designs as directed by the Design Lead.

The Language Lead will be responsible for coordinating the translations for the software and the documentation. Each translation will need to be checked by several native speakers to ensure accuracy.

The Translators will provide translations for both the software and the documentation in accordance with the standards set forth by the Language Lead.

The Apps Lead will be responsible for the App Store, including ensuring it is running smoothly, checking and approving uploaded apps (including checking for malware) in accordance with the App policies (yet to be decided).

The Apps Lead will have several Assistants to help him/her with their tasks. It is envisaged that to avoid conflicts of interest nobody on the Apps team will be app developers.

The Marketing Lead will be responsible for marketing the software and apps. This would include things such as directing their team to organise press releases, contact organisations (i.e. Softaculous) to have the software included for 'one click install', get mentions on tech websites, contacting influencers to let them know about the software, etc as well as promoting the software through social media and, should budget permit, paid advertising.

There will be a person (or possibly in the future a team) responsible for each one of these departments: Social (Facebook, Twitter etc), Advertising, and Marketing.

The Admin Lead will be in charge of admin stuff, including collating documentation and administering the forum. These are very important elements and require someone with an attention to detail.

The Admin Lead will be assisted by people in Documentation and Forum Moderation roles.

Of course, there are a lot of positions to fill, but in the beginning we will have to wear more than one hat until we get more people on board.

If you'd like to nominate for position/s, send me a PM.

For starters, I'd like to nominate for the CEO, Admin Lead, Documentation and Forum Moderation roles.

I'd like to nominate Burt for the Project Leader and Programming Lead roles, and I hope he accepts. 

Please let me know if these nominations are acceptable.

I want to encourage you to nominate for a role. If you have very little time then I suggest one of the ones in darker blue, but I would really like to see people put their hands up for one of the greater roles. Perhaps you can take on a role until someone more qualified comes along, that would be extremely helpful.

If you can't do any of the above roles, and you run a store, you'd be perfect for the Shopowners Council. All nominations are welcome.

If you'd like to nominate someone else for a position, please PM them directly and talk them into it!

As positions get filled I'll update this thread. Looking forward to you joining the team!

Maybe it is a good idea to put in the schema a role of SEO leader. Someone who advises on SEO for all development.

Thoughts?

@Arjan Do you mean SEO capabilities within the software or SEO for the project website?

If SEO in the software then that will need to be advised by the Shopowner Council; if SEO on the project website that would fall under the purview of the marketing department.

@frankl Frank I wondering if the structure shouldn't be up for some discussion/agreement first?  With the introduction of a CEO position I'm wondering if we are going down the same rabbit hole as happened with osC.   While I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning to offer a detailed alternative,  I'd favor more of a team approach from the very top down with the leader being picked by the team itself, for a fixed term.   As I said I haven't thought this through completely but I'm wondering if we shouldn't spend a bit of time on the structure to make sure we get that right first?

Dan

I think the structure is a bit too rigid. I agree with @Dan Cole that a team approach works better with Open Source projects.

Also, there should be more than one person with the keys to the operation. If any one person disappears (family emergency, run over by a bus, etc.) the project should be able to continue as usual. I think we've all seen what happens when the one person in control goes AWOL. I don't want to deal with that again.

Regards

Jim

11 hours ago, Dan Cole said:

@frankl Frank I wondering if the structure shouldn't be up for some discussion/agreement first?  With the introduction of a CEO position I'm wondering if we are going down the same rabbit hole as happened with osC.   While I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning to offer a detailed alternative,  I'd favor more of a team approach from the very top down with the leader being picked by the team itself, for a fixed term.   As I said I haven't thought this through completely but I'm wondering if we shouldn't spend a bit of time on the structure to make sure we get that right first?

Dan

Open to all suggestions. The way I view the CEO job is that it is one person who draws all the strands together and makes sure they are all working towards a common goal. The intention is not to be someone who holds all the keys or controls everything.

How about a board of say three people above the CEO? Would that work?

@frankl Let me get a copy of that Workable Management Structure post I made awhile ago and we'll see if we can knit it in with what you're thinking.  We probably just need to flatten the structure a bit. I'm thinking a single TEAM with the members having the responsibility for the different functions might be all we need. 

Dan

Here is the proposed structure I came up with in that Workable Management post from last year. 

Project Team (Consisting of an at large leader, a leader from each of the teams below as well as any Special Talent the team wishes to involve.)

Management Team (Consisting of a Team Leader and invited talent.)
Responsibilities would include.
- Mission and Vision Statement Development
- Goal Setting
- Road Maps
- General Team Training and Development
- Other?

Operations Team (Consisting of a Team Leader and invited talent.)
- Forums
- Market Place
- Release Downloads
- Funding
- Other?

Development Team (Consisting of a Team Leader and invited talent.)
- Core development
- Release Updates  
- Bug Fixes
- Other?

Community Team (Consisting of a Team Leader and invited talent.)
- Communications
- Education - How to
- Documentation
- Q&A
- Other?

Looking back on your proposal Frank I would probably also be inclined to add a Sales and Marketing Team.

To keep it simple....we might start with a TEAM of say six....

Project Coordinator Lead 

Management Team Lead

Development Team Lead

Community Team Lead

Sales and Marketing Team Lead

Operations Team Lead

Does this make any sense....the responsibilities for each of the individuals teams will of course need to be further defined and likely end up being a blend of both these proposals.  

Why don't we all throw some darts at this and see if it holds together?

Dan

Probably need a chairman or something similar in addition to that team of six for voting purposes. 

I don't mind what the structure ends up being as long as it is robust and moves the project forward. I'd also like see everyone working toward a common goal and be gracious when their ideas aren't adopted for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Couple points I would make...

1) keep things simple first, let's hash out the technical framework and build a feasibility demo. This is crucial to eventually growing an organic community and the ultimate software.

2) I don't know how much interest I have working with the existing team. One may be a little out dated and resistance to change and new technologies, and another may be a little abrasive. I really wouldn't want things ended up like it is again, unless people can change for the better here. I hope you know what I mean.

3) Like Kymation had said, I would not put all decisions or depended on one person, I would prefer some way to vote on it, and if you are putting up the seed money, may be you should have the ultimate say at the end, but this could be a lot on your shoulders.

4) This is gonna have to be more than the existing 2.4 at the end. In fact, I see it being Magento on steroid, probably better if we can take the lessons learned from them. I believe they had took the lessons learned from coding OSC when they started but had took them to the extreme.

Back in undergrad I had meet Paul MacCready, the guy who built the Albatross and the GM Sunraycer, several times, he said the best way to see if an idea would take shape was to quickly rough out a simple prototype anyway you could and test and refine it as many iterations as possible before it got put to work. We were talking about how I realize  I had spent too much time in the design and analysis phase and had ended up running out of time building and testing our solar car. So I practice what I preach ever since.

Also, I am not as concerned about the financial side of this venture as I make a decent living working as a dev. I think having a good working team and ideas put in place would be more enticing as it is important to be able to envision the success of this venture.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, frankl said:

Probably need a chairman or something similar in addition to that team of six for voting purposes.

I think that is right Frank and I saw that being the Project Coordinator Lead (a chairperson using a board model).  The Project Coordinator would be responsible for day to day issues taking direction from the Team Leads.  Ensuring that the teams play nicely together, providing advice, coordinating meetings with the overall team etc. etc.   To start you'd just have the six Team Leads but with only five of them having voting rights...ie the Project Coordinator Lead would not have a vote to keep the politics out of that role.   

If this makes sense, at least as a starting position, why don't we use that nice software you used to put an image around this and perhaps poll those who are currently active here to see if this meets with the approval of the majority.   The final details as to what the teams are responsible for can then be worked out by the TEAM itself, using the outlines we put forward as starting points.    In summary, we'd end up with a none-voting Project Coordinator at the top of the structure (or off to the side) for charting purposes,  with the five individual leads in a row.  In reality it's a TEAM approach consisting of the six Leads.   Once the TEAM Leads are in place their first priority would be to get their respective Teams in place.    

Dan

6 hours ago, clustersolutions said:

2) I don't know how much interest I have working with the existing team. One may be a little out dated and resistance to change and new technologies, and another may be a little abrasive. I really wouldn't want things ended up like it is again, unless people can change for the better here. I hope you know what I mean.

this is a new project - and the conditions that lead to the behavior you mentioned will hopefully not exist (I don’t blame either of them... they did what they had to move things forward)  

And hopefully they (all of us) will be able to leave these feelings at OsC. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Greasemonkey said:

this is a new project - and the conditions that lead to the behavior you mentioned will hopefully not exist (I don’t blame either of them... they did what they had to move things forward)  

I like that....a NEW Start. 👍

Dan

2 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

that nice software you used

Libre Draw :classic_biggrin:

Yes, I'll do that (my) tomorrow.

I think we really, really need the shopowners council.

2 minutes ago, Greasemonkey said:

I agree with that. This is a new start, with optimism, hope, enthusiasm and a clear target. Everyone's attitude will change.

3 minutes ago, frankl said:

I think we really, really need the shopowners council.

I agree and was thinking the Community Lead would form one and pick their brains, use them as a sounding board etc.   Are you thinking their should be an separate Shopowners Council Lead?

Dan

4 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

Are you thinking their should be an separate Shopowners Council Lead?

I haven't been thinking about that, however on reflection one person will naturally be a leader. 

Scott (Greasemonkey) has already volunteered be on the Shopowners Council (thanks Scott!)

8 minutes ago, frankl said:

I haven't been thinking about that, however on reflection one person will naturally be a leader. 

Not sure I understand....does including Coordinator for Shopowners Council as part of the role of the Community Lead achieve what you have in mind?   ie.

Community Team (Consisting of a Team Leader and invited talent.)

- Coordinator/Lead for Shopowners Council
- Communications
- Education - How to
- Documentation
- Q&A
- Other?

24 minutes ago, frankl said:

Scott (Greasemonkey) has already volunteered be on the Shopowners Council (thanks Scott!)

Just to be clear - do not feel any obligation. 

I volunteer my time, of course - but most important: The reason I volunteer is to make sure “shopowners” have a seat at the table. 

That shopowner could just as easily be @Dan Cole or many number of others.... I personally see it as more than one person - and if more than several... than the shopowners would then choose a lead. 

As long as we have Someone to translate coder speak to layperson. And Someone to put shopowner needs in front of the coders. 

2 hours ago, Greasemonkey said:

I personally see it as more than one person - and if more than several... than the shopowners would then choose a lead.  

As long as we have Someone to translate coder speak to layperson. And Someone to put shopowner needs in front of the coders. 

I agree....probably a couple of leaders/facilitators with participation from anyone in the community that wants to get involved or have a say.  I chose to call it Community Team Lead but that's really not important....what is important is that everyone has a way to participate and a Lead at the table.   I think we are probably all saying the same thing in a slightly different way.   As a practical matter, I think, with the possible exception of the Development Team, most of the Leads will likely be shop owners in any case.  If we feel there is a need to have more shop owners at the table we can do that but it's probably not an issue.  It's more likely just a concern given our past experience.

Dan

@greasemonkey, I guess I was never real clear if this is a new project or if it is a continuation of the Community BS--integrating BS and 2.4 and making it even better.

I also guess I have never been an OSC insider so I have no clue on its politics behind the close door, but I think my point really was "people had gonna have to change here." There was a Community Team, and if that was working, we probably wouldn't hv this here. Yeah, "happy cows, happy cheese," and "happy people, happy codes."

Back to integrating Community BS and 2.4...my thought was Burt would have to be involved, but it is crucial for this project to be able to get some "heavy lifters" to join, and develop something that could attract new talents as well. I have a good idea on the amount of work involved because  on and off I had thought about merging OSC into a Lavarel project since last year.

To me, I am saddened that Harold did not release 2.4. The 2.4 framework and the App Market place was a positive thing that could draw developers back in. I am a dev and I only would work on things on my spare time that excites me. To 2.4's credit, but it is still missing a modern MVC framework. That doesn't excites me. Please know that I am just merely trying to give one dev's perspective.

Lastly, I hate to say this, be it as it may that we need some kinda of structure and protocol here, but are we ready for it and especially a complex one? U know, I do work with abrasive people, but my boss know I am gonna be ok to get bend over because he's rewarding me every month.

I am looking forward to reading ideas on how we are gonna define and build this core up...

6 hours ago, Greasemonkey said:

I suggest, appart of create a ordinogram, try to get a list of things that we need to start, put an order of priorities and let people to deceide the step(s) that can help / do, then a finish date of each task and try to complete it.

So, I vote for a a new tread to list the 'essential' list of task (may be in a general form), order it by importante of according a road map and then let people to auto-assign to these steps (telling Frankl).

If there are a lot of voluntiers, at least 2 people for steep involved (to avoid disruptions of the funcionality). They must be a kind of coordination, one of them will talk with Frankl and the all may communicate, if is necessary, with the rest of the 'gropus'. Later, when the team will become bigger, we will need some kind of 'master & commander' thing.

If we are a few, one or two 'fields' for person (one of them not essential).

The minimun, accordin Dan, 5 people... may be we will get 300 intrepid warriors to go to the TermoPHPilas...

May be is not related but here yo uare my idea about our 'first meeting' (Frankl, with the microphone, telling us 'Hello, everibody!!!!') :

image.png.4f0ea8d20c947ad6ca1e72d32b8061b1.png

• Haha 1

I'd like to see a Management Team and a Shopowners Council put together ASAP to get the ball rolling.

Management Team (Consisting of a Team Leader and invited talent.)
- Mission and Vision Statement Development
- Goal Setting
- Road Maps
- General Team Training and Development
- Other?

I can do a lot of the work but I need a lot of help from others. We especially have to decide what we want the software to look like as an end product.

Who is going to join me at the foundation stage? I need half a dozen good people. I think Rudolfi will join me. Who else?